Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 1

In 40 days I will turn 40 years old.  When I realized that there are exactly 40 days from January 1 to February 9 (my birthday), I knew it was a great opportunity to do something amazing.  My goal in the next 40 days is to serve and be kind.  I want to make the world a better place one act of kindness at a time.  I have seen a number of pins on Pinterest where the pinners spent their birthdays completing Random Acts of Kindness equal to the number of years they were celebrating.  I am going to look each day for ways to serve those I encounter as I live. 

Today I decided to serve my children.  I cleaned their rooms and did their laundry while they were skiing with Jeremiah.  I learned something about selfless service.  In order to be truly selfless, it has to be done without the expectation of expressed gratitude.  My children didn't so much as acknowledge that their rooms looked any different than when they left them this morning.  One even went so far as to mess his room up. Okay, Jadee did say thank you for the new shirt I left on her bed.  I guess in my mind I believed that my children would be so grateful that they wouldn't be able to contain themselves.  Nice thought.  Not so.  Anyhow, selfless means without regard to self.  I must serve without thinking of myself or how those I serve should be grateful to me for the service I render.  I think that this might be a little harder for me than I might have thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment